Episode Discussion...or, TALK, you Glishy face-licker...

Talk and gossip about the crew of the Camden Lock in this sci-fi comedy which happens to be Nick's first ever lead role.

Episode Discussion...or, TALK, you Glishy face-licker...

Postby thirtyhelens » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 pm

So, yeah.... I finally watched 1.1 so I'll start. I agree with pretty much everyone else - definitely has its moments that are quite funny indeed, but it's a bit uneven. Miranda Hart is a star, she's actually my favorite; the greeting for Henderson's nephew is TOP, vintage Frost.

And it's unfair to write it off this early in the game, so no whining. We'll see how things go. (All the Red Dwarf analogies are bang on, BTW....RD didn't start popping till end of the second series, really. Well, unless you consider a wet fart a pop...)
"Thanks, Dag. I love that Odeon."

http://thirtyhelens.buzznet.com/user/photos/
thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:23 pm

I think the seriese will develop when it has bits of itself it can reference as it has had to create a totally new universe for itself, divorced from every other reference point we wold have.

It's set in the future, so it can't be topical, it set in space, so we need to know the lay of the 'land' before we can get the jokes.

It's quite a tough challenge. Lots of potential for 'blank paper syndrome'.

It might be iteresting if we finally get to meet an American ship.
Americans naturally being bigger, richer, better looking, more confident and intensly smug people ;)
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 am

Munt / wrote:Americans naturally being bigger, richer, better looking, more confident and intensly smug people ;)

Stop that sentence, back it up and end after "bigger." Smart-ass. ;)
"Thanks, Dag. I love that Odeon."

http://thirtyhelens.buzznet.com/user/photos/
thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby Zombiesaurus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:09 pm

Ooooooh, feel that lash of yankee indignation! Whipp-ah!
Human Freak Exhibit
Zombiesaurus
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:59 pm

As a demi-continental coutry I accept that there are exceptions to this stereotype ;) .

I almost based this idea entirely on the stand up show of Pam Ann.
She's basically a Trolly Dolly for PanAm that is really cruel about flight attendants (well, have you met any?).

One part of her (old) show is where the plane that we are all 'on' has hit another plane and had ditched in the Atlantic.

She goes through the safety procedure with us and we all inflate imaginary life jackets.

Most of us in the crowd have been written off as dead or dying. Then we spot what we first think are 'murmaids' in red swimming costumes in the freezing water. What can it be?

Why it's Virgin Atlantic staff in red bikinis frolicking in the water.

For those that don't know, here in the UK, Virgin are really big and incredibly image conscious. You get the feeling that if any old Brit was stuck in the Pond we would be there with an ugly yellow life jacket and sure of our own doom. Thanks to intensive PR it's not unreasonable to think of Virgin Atlantic staff taking the crash as a holiday and a way to relax. Their toned, corporately red bathing suited bodies splashing in the water, doing leaps and having fun untill their omnipresent owners rescued each of them by private helicopter.

While this may sound self depreciating it's common to the established British sense of humour, and seemingly what pegg and Co want to get away from (judging by an interview I just read).

Still, if it's funny, it's funny. Unless it's not. In which case it's not funny.

WHY IS THERE NOT ALCHOHOL FILTER ON MY KEYBOARD?!
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:10 pm

Hmmm... this one was a bit flat. I think the direction could do with a bit of a boost. Also, some of the plot lines seemed to be there to just keep the characters busy.

Again Frost and Hart did well but the plot went against the characters and the resulting unnatural actions jarred a little.

It almost felt like there was no emoitonal build up or pay off. Just events happening.

I have a feeling that this might be Nicks "According to Bex".
Which is a shame. There is still time for it to gel but I have a hard time believeing the characters becuase of the writing and direction.

I know this might sound like I'm a Frost Apologist™ but I can't see any other actor doing any better under the circomstances.

It has motivated me to write something myself but I'm notriously lazy and easily distracted so it probably won't ever get finished (or started). Having said that, I do have half a seriese of a slightly boring 'sort-of-sit-com-u-drama' that I could try polishing.

Hmmm.........................................................
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby ned-kogar » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:40 am

Yeah.

There were some nice bits (sex room, that weird ball game, 'lte's get thsi fire going'..) but it was all a bit shapeless - I'm pretty sure that it was originally intended to be a jolly final episode for the series, end on a party weekend - all very end of term - and that we'd have seen Teal's obsession grow a bit, get to know Vine a little more (his character's barely been established so far, sadly) and that then their actions would have seemed more likely. Why they then put it out third, I don't know. They screwed League of Gentlemen series 2 the same way - the nosebleed plot was all unevenly placed. Irritating. Even 5 years on...

Seems that a little more background about Sandstrom would have been handy at the top of the series - she mainly seems odd.. but the whole Robocop-style memory giltch thing could have set her up well.

Another irritation - the official roles of the crew are too weakly defined - York was doing Jeffers job in fixing Sandstrom, for example.. Cahracter definition shouldn't be sacrificed to plot needs until the audience has a really strong handle on each character.

And - jeez - the cadets were a bit rubbish. That party looked very underpopulated.

Sigh. I can see such a nice show poking through sometimes - I do hope they get the chance to get it right in a second series..
ned-kogar

Postby Toxic » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:36 am

wow, i actually laughed out loud at this one. I think this episode was probably the strongest yet.
It wasn't great by any standards but it had good bits in it. The scene on the treadmill was the best when the condoms and "dog eggs" fly out.

"got any gloves?" "NO",

that bit really tickled me and i think is the best Frost has been so far. His Gervais-lite style was still there but not as prominent this week i thought.

I thought that the whole cadet orgy was just unfunny and squeezed in as a chance to show some arse.

Again, Teal was the stand out character this week i think.

As for the crew's roles. Wasn't Jeffers on Vine's planet and therefore unable to fix Sandstrom? so York had to do it instead.
Toxic
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:35 pm

I didn't realise that 'dog egg' was such a prevelant saying.
I've never heard anyone say it apart from me and my friend Dan.
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby Wild_ZERO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:56 am

Sometimes I wish you guys would just sit back and enjoy the show. :arrow: :| The part where Vine dropped the packet on the ground and it turned into a campfire got me to laugh out loud.
The boy from school
Wild_ZERO
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:58 am

Sometimes I wish I could just enjoy it too.
It's not a bad show and it does have some comedy gems in it, but I feel that the forum will benefit from honest conversation.

I am genuinly sory if it makes you feel uncomfortable, and yes, I am aware that Nick might well be reading this. The instant fire was a really nice touch. I especially liked the way it went back to being a pack when it was kicked over. It didn't make me laugh, but it was very cool.

Everyone has their favourite bit - and bits they don't like - about pretty much everything. I'm a big fan of Nick and his work but I wouldn't want to pretend that everything he was in was fried gold, becuase then the fried gold bits wouldn't be so special.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the seriese becuase I really want it to be good.

Oh, I should say that I thought the guy who plays Vine was a mighty good actor too.
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby Wild_ZERO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:56 pm

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to stiffle the conversation, after all, this is where we come to discuss. And I'm not trying to suggest that everything Nick touches is magic, but the series' acting, story-lines, and overall presentation just seems a bit more relaxed you know, you might enjoy it more if you relax as well? Bah, I don't know, rushed post, I'm gonna be late for class.
The boy from school
Wild_ZERO
Frostitute

Postby Munt / » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Nah, I wouldn't try to make your post into an argument. I know what you mean but I did Media Studies at school and it's ruined my enjoyment of television. I keep looking for things in detail.
Munt /
Frostitute

Postby Wild_ZERO » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Yeah, I know how that goes. My roommates are both double majors, one is communication/sociology and the other is intellectual history/film studies. The details become infinately debatable.
The boy from school
Wild_ZERO
Frostitute

Postby Toxic » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:34 am

I see the latest issue of Tv Zone has a review of The second episode of Hyperdrive. It gives it a lowly 4 out of 10.

They also pick up on the fact that Nick appears to be doing a Gervais lite
Toxic
Frostitute

Next

Return to Hyperdrive