DVD - region2: can it play on my devices

Big Cops. Small Town. Moderate Violence. Discuss.

DVD - region2: can it play on my devices

Postby ziphor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Ok, im not smart with some technologies -- i may be getting a region 2 (Europe) dvd version of hot fuzz, the question is:

Can i play a region 2 dvd on my dvd players in the USA/my mac&pc laptops?

thanks in advance :oops:
ziphor

Postby velocity_shingo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:23 pm

my PC can play my Hyperdrive/Spaced DVDs I have a Sony VAOI you might be able to DL a program that will let u play it if u use a computer as far as DVD players u prolly need a Region Free DVD player but im n00b too so dont take my word for it
velocity_shingo
Frostitute

Postby Thomas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:32 pm

You can play Region 2 discs on your PC/Mac, but you have to change the Region of your drive. If you change your drive so many times, it gets LOCKED that way.

For example:

Say you can change your drive's region 5 times. It should tell you this when you put it in.

If you go from Region 2 (Hot Fuzz), then put in a Region 1 and change it back. It's now Region 1.

If you do this so many times, and the last time you change it to Region 2, it will be LOCKED as Region 2, and you cannot run Region 1 or anything else on it.

You can still play games and install programs with it, though.
Sigh. You really don't like anything, do you Thomas?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Thomas
Frost Admin

Postby ziphor » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:23 pm

ok ok, so i figured my situation out --

i got a region 2 dvd special edition set of hot fuzz (like the walmart version, plus more --- AND better cover art lol)

i got mactheripper application to rip the CD, then i have roxio toast 8 to burn it back to a CD.

from the tutorials i read, this gets rid of the region code and i can now watch my precious duo and bonus content without dealing with stupid region/consumer censorship and DRM!

woo
ziphor

Postby Buddy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:38 am

Just download and use a program called VLC Player. It reads DVDs from any region without changing the settings of the DVD drive.
Buddy
Frostitute

Postby gayboytroy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:54 pm

i just have an extra drive for R2 stuff and just swap em out
hmm,,crocodiles eat fish,goats, and children
gayboytroy
Frostitute

Postby kracker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Buddy wrote:Just download and use a program called VLC Player. It reads DVDs from any region without changing the settings of the DVD drive.
Yes thats what I do. I also just copy the dvds to watch on tv...
kracker
Frostitute

Postby SPPCDaisy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 pm

have you tried dvd hack codes for your dvd player? i did and now my dvd player is a region free one! i can play all my british dvds on it.
try using your internet search engine and put in dvd hacks or codes and then search for your dvd player model and you'll be able to download the firmware to be installed on your dvd player. it is very simple and took no time at all on mine.
:)
and to whomever gave me THAT advice on one of these forums, THANK YOU for the advice. It's fried gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SPPCDaisy
Frostitute

Postby Geoi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:31 pm

videohelp.com

I bought one of those cheap Cyberhome 300S dvd players. Press a couple of buttons, et voila, it's region free! And it's not a bad player either. I like it better than all my other ones.
"We're fans who love watching grown men FLUSH CAKES!!! My god, HOW DARE WE not drink tea with our pinkies up. Fuck anyone up their own ass about maturity on those boards...."
Geoi
Frostitute

Postby SPPCDaisy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:52 pm

yeah, Cyberhome is good.
SPPCDaisy
Frostitute

Return to Hot Fuzz