Marvel Movies

Books, Television, Music, etc. etc. all goes in here!

Moderator: Trucast

Postby TheDeadWait » Wed May 24, 2006 12:21 am

Im hoping that it will be a decent film. I'll be seeing it on Friday so here's hoping.
The first male PeggLegg and damn proud of it!
TheDeadWait
Frostitute

Postby LaminatedRachel » Wed May 24, 2006 4:34 am

I looked at some pretty big spoilers the other day....yeah, I know, weak me. I'll say no more.....
"Once you've had Frost, you'll never get lost."
LaminatedRachel
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Wed May 24, 2006 11:40 am

DOOOOD - I was exposed to spoilers while trying to do news updates for JL. Ay, the occupational hazards of fandom. :roll:
"Thanks, Dag. I love that Odeon."

http://thirtyhelens.buzznet.com/user/photos/
thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby LaminatedRachel » Wed May 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Yeah I know. :? I keep thinking what could have been in the alternate universe where Vaughn or Singer directed, not that it's always the director's fault, but y'know.
LaminatedRachel
Frostitute

Postby TheDeadWait » Sat May 27, 2006 12:48 am

Well I saw it tonight, not sure what to make of it just yet. Alot to sink in. And will remain spoiler free till everyone has seen it.
The first male PeggLegg and damn proud of it!
TheDeadWait
Frostitute

Postby elenapandora » Sat May 27, 2006 4:53 pm

I had a bit of a shock when I checked Box Office Mojo for the Friday numbers. Didn't expect to see X3 at No. 2 or No. 3 on a list.

Turns out, the lists were for Top Opening Day (#2) and Top Single Day (#3). Not for Friday.

OMFG.

Or should I say "Oh my stars and garters."? :D

$44,100,000.
elenapandora
Frostitute

Postby elenapandora » Sat May 27, 2006 4:56 pm

thirtyhelens wrote:DOOOOD - I was exposed to spoilers while trying to do news updates for JL. Ay, the occupational hazards of fandom. :roll:

I think I saw most of the spoilers along the way. I subsequently got better at avoiding them (starting skimming things). And sometimes it's just plain weakness, when a whited out spoiler is staring one in the face.

But I got to the point I didn't want to see any more publicity, or read any reviews, because they were sure to give something away. Heck, some of the Q&As were about the movie.

My mom was impressed with Hugh's billing for the movie. ;-)
elenapandora
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Mon May 29, 2006 1:06 pm

TheDeadWait wrote:Well I saw it tonight, not sure what to make of it just yet.

Same here, Robbsy. Although I think it's more a case of "I know what to make of it, it's just that there's about 15 different aspects to that and they're all over the map." :lol: I've been too entrenched in holiday-weekend-lazy mode to write it all out....I will though! Just lemme have another beer first.

I will add one thing, for now: I cannot....BELIEVE....that line is in the movie. You know the one. Don't make me say it. ;)

thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby elenapandora » Mon May 29, 2006 1:31 pm

thirtyhelens wrote:I will add one thing, for now: I cannot....BELIEVE....that line is in the movie. You know the one. Don't make me say it. ;)

I realize I haven't any idea what line you are talking about. ;-) I saw the movie once, and don't remember enough details. I was thinking about going again, but probably not. (Usually I end up going again if someone else I know wants to go, but we managed to get everyone together this time.)
elenapandora
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Mon May 29, 2006 5:29 pm

elenapandora wrote:I realize I haven't any idea what line you are talking about. ;-)

See Robb's avatar title for a big clue. ;-)

OK....*braces*....thoughts (minor SPOILERS only):

I think ultimately, the running time is the biggest let-down of the movie - the cast are almost uniformly good (I did like Kelsey very much, though I wasn't crazy about how the makeup photographed; "Oh my stars and garters" or whatever that line was was classic Beast. ;-) ). The dialogue is clunky, and that's hard to forgive, but my expectations were really low on that count. (And it wasn't Fantastic Four bad; Penn seemed to balance Kinberg's tendency toward the inane a bit.) Still there are flashes of fantastic stuff, moments that are really funny and really tragic and really true to the characters but the necessity to move forward at an almost breakneck speed hurts everything immeasurably. I heard a couple of clear comics geeks tittering when Xavier explains away Jean's survival (the line about a cocoon of telekinetic energy) - to be honest, it was a good enough explanation (obviously in this 'verse, it's not going to be an alien entity.) But it's just blurted it out and then we move on so fast that the audience who is well versed enough in the source material isn't given enough reason to buy it.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I have this feeling that the decision to go with the shorter running time was an executive decision made from very high up the chain - with a shorter film, you can fit more screenings into a day and thus help drive up the box office. It still could have had a great opening weekend, IMO, if they had allowed it an additional 20-30 minutes to flesh out the characters and the plot; X2 did very well and it was 2 hours and 13 minutes. I don't think, tho, really, that you can firmly place the blame on Ratner either; action is what he does best (I remember thinking that the Dolarhyde house blowing up was the best part of Red Dragon, LOL) and he did OK by the action sequences in this. However, a) he's not a great character director and b) coming in as late as he did and picking up where a lot of work had already been done, he's not in a position to stand in opposition to the studio and fight for a longer cut. Which is something that Singer undoubtedly did his second time out; the first time, I think, because they pushed the release date up three months he was probably just fighting to get the movie finished on time. And while I am disappointed in him for moving on to do Superman instead of finishing the trilogy, IF that kind of studio pressure is what he had to put up with on the first two, there's also a part of me that doesn't blame him for not wanting to go through that again.

And the original X-Men is on FX right now and watching it, I JUST REMEMBERED that Hugh discussed shooting a scene for X3 where he goes back to the trucker bar in the Northern Territory where they introduced Logan in the first film. (They even brought back the same crusty old dude as the bartender, etc.) That didn't make final cut. I wonder how much else they actually shot that didn't make it....

*grits teeth*

thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby LaminatedRachel » Mon May 29, 2006 5:41 pm

I still haven't seen it yet, but I read spoilers at a weak moment. :oops:
Will report back here some time this week.
LaminatedRachel
Frostitute

Postby elenapandora » Mon May 29, 2006 5:55 pm

thirtyhelens wrote:
elenapandora wrote:I realize I haven't any idea what line you are talking about. ;-)

See Robb's avatar title for a big clue. ;-)

Okay, now I vaguely remember. ;-) I tend not to have a memory for details these days.

I think ultimately, the running time is the biggest let-down of the movie

Agreed. I think instead of developing characterization in this movie, they relied heavily on what had gone before (which they should, of course, as long as they're moving on). I wonder if they decided to emphasize it as a trilogy when they realized that they left out a little too much.

the cast are almost uniformly good

:mrgreen:

(I did like Kelsey very much, though I wasn't crazy about how the makeup photographed; "Oh my stars and garters" or whatever that line was was classic Beast. ;-) ). The dialogue is clunky, and that's hard to forgive, but my expectations were really low on that count.

It didn't bother me too much. I guess I don't have an ear for dialogue. But I do know that when I went back and tried to read the earlier Uncanny X-Men stories, it wasn't easy.

I wonder what others made of the "Oh my stars and garters."? ;-)

There were at least a few touches like that.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I have this feeling that the decision to go with the shorter running time was an executive decision made from very high up the chain - with a shorter film, you can fit more screenings into a day and thus help drive up the box office.

That's an interesting thought! I guess if they're really serious about it being the last movie (I think it has to be -- anything they do from now on probably can't include the probably too expensive original cast -- so even X4 could probably be sort of a spinoff), they aren't worried about making one of those movies to last.

I thought perhaps they didn't have enough time to make a longer movie. They probably spent a lot of time on the action sequences. Perhaps they didn't have enough time to prepare, or they didn't have enough time to edit it after.

And the original X-Men is on FX right now and watching it, I JUST REMEMBERED that Hugh discussed shooting a scene for X3 where he goes back to the trucker bar in the Northern Territory where they introduced Logan in the first film. (They even brought back the same crusty old dude as the bartender, etc.) That didn't make final cut. I wonder how much else they actually shot that didn't make it....

*grits teeth*

Yeah, I remembered that someone mentioned the bartender, and it did occur to me that there was no bartender in the movie. (At least, I don't think there was.)

Oh, well, according to some reviews, at least, it's considered a more entertaining action movie than much of what's out there. I was just expecting a bit more. It sure did make a s**tload of money (as Dark Horizons so eloguently put it <g>).

Probably didn't help that, in addition to having read some spoilers, I also saw most of the clips out there. I went in knowing a bit too much.
elenapandora
Frostitute

Postby LaminatedRachel » Mon May 29, 2006 6:07 pm

Just a thought regarding promotion and what not: is it me or was there a distinct lack of premieres?
The X2 London premiere was a huge thing I seem to remember, but there wasn't even one for X3.

Anyone got any theories?
LaminatedRachel
Frostitute

Postby elenapandora » Mon May 29, 2006 6:19 pm

LaminatedRachel wrote:Just a thought regarding promotion and what not: is it me or was there a distinct lack of premieres?
The X2 London premiere was a huge thing I seem to remember, but there wasn't even one for X3.

Anyone got any theories?

They had a few screenings. There was supposed to be one in NY, with the cast, according to a UK contest. ;-)

Maybe they decided that Cannes was big enough, so they weren't going to do any other premieres to upstage that one? If the Cannes screening hadn't been so close to the opening, perhaps they would have done more.
elenapandora
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

I wonder what others made of the "Oh my stars and garters."? There were at least a few touches like that.

Yeah, see there was some great stuff. (I'll spoiler-white this time. ;) Swipe away): The Iceman/Pyro battle was great, as was Kitty vs. Juggernaut (up to that line, LOL - and actually, I'm kind of torn in thinking that it's hilarious that they ran with it vs. seriously, tho, that HAD to be a last minute reshoot, right?!!). Angel looked AMAZING, even though ultimately his part is so small you realize he's mostly there as a plot device so that Warren II could fund the cure. Olivia Williams' fleeting appearances as Doc McTaggart were wonderful, she needed more scenes. Wolverine and Beast's give and take needed more time to build, too, since we didn't have Cyclops for him to spar with; what little there was, tho, felt genuine. The digital work to make Stewart and McKellen appear younger in the prologue was FANTASTIC - and I do believe that was WETA Digital's work. Waheyyy! (end spoilers)

If indeed the shorter running time was an executive decision, I'm kind of counting out any hope of getting that R-rated Wolverine script shot as is. :? But I guess anything's still possible...[/quote]

thirtyhelens
Frostitute

PreviousNext

Return to General Media