Buffy MMO

Books, Television, Music, etc. etc. all goes in here!

Moderator: Trucast

Buffy MMO

Postby Buddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 am

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/907/907530p1.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer MMO Announced
Joss Whedon's popular show may have ended, but the story lives on.
by Jimmy Thang

US, September 3, 2008 - Twentieth Century Fox and developer The Multiverse Network have announced a Buffy the Vampire Slayer MMO, a game based off of Joss Whedon's popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show. The announcement was made by producer and member of Multiverse Advisory Board Jon Landau at the Virtual Worlds Conference and Expo earlier today.

According to Gamersdailynews.com, the game is currently in development and will be playable in a fully 3D environment, or as a Flash-based 2D application. Both types of players will be able to interact with each other. The game will launch through Multiverse's new virtual world, "Multiverse Places," and will go into beta testing later this year.

One down side to this announcement is the delay of Multiverse's other MMO, Firefly, which is also based on another Joss Whedon TV show. Firefly was tentatively set for a to-be-announced 2008 release, but the company is now focusing its efforts on the newly announced Buffy title.

For gamers unfamiliar with the long-running show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer starred Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers, high school student by day, and destiny's chosen vampire slayer by night. In the show, she was aided in her expeditions with the help of her friends, also known as "The Scooby Gang."

The game might end up like sh!t but I'm excited nonetheless. :beer:
Buddy
Frostitute

Re: Buffy MMO

Postby cpltony » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:16 am

My wife has the Buffy game for XBOX....its pretty good.
Still getting through the show, which is good also :)
I prefer Angel though.
ImageImage
cpltony
Frostitute

Postby Buddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 am

I actually started playing the first Buffy game on the Xbox the other day, it's a classic. I'm hoping that it'll get released as a Xbox Original game on Live so more people can experience the amazing game.

I always liked Buffy better but I have to admit, it was starting to lose its quality in the later seasons. Angel, on the other hand, kept on getting better and better but it got cancelled during, in my opinion, the peak of its creativity. :(
Buddy
Frostitute

Postby Mutt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:02 am

Just to throw this out there...

There's actually two Buffy games for the Xbox... the eponymous self titled Buffy game and the sequel BTVS:Chaos Bleeds which lets you also play as Faith, Spike and the rest of the schooby gang.

I'm a mark for Joss Whedon, I've got all the shows on DVD... I played both of the games and still have the latter... I read the season 8 comic series... I downloaded Doctor Horrible's sing-along blog on itunes... still though... I'm indifferent about an MMO.
Mutt
Frostitute

Postby Geoi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Firefly = FTW
"We're fans who love watching grown men FLUSH CAKES!!! My god, HOW DARE WE not drink tea with our pinkies up. Fuck anyone up their own ass about maturity on those boards...."
Geoi
Frostitute

Postby cpltony » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm

I just got back from Dragon Con who had a lot of the Firefly cast.
Also got to meet James Marsters; nice guy!
He said he thought of the 'humans leave earth to expand' idea and sent it to Joss. 6 months later Firefly was announced <lol>

Angel seemed more adult to me, buffy was always a younger style show.
Don't get me wrong, I'm liking both of them but prefer the darker style of Angel.

Firefly was simply amazing, sad it was cancelled though (same as a few million other people.)
Last edited by cpltony on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
cpltony
Frostitute

Postby Mutt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:41 pm

cpltony wrote:Angel seemed more adult to me, buffy was always a younger style show.
Don't get me wrong, I'm liking both of them but prefer the darker style of Angel.

See, I always thought it was more the other way around. I could never take Angel too seriously with Loren. A green lounge singing demon just seemed more flippant than anything on Buffy. Both had their share of goof though... whether it be the Buffy musical or the Angel smile time puppet episode.

As for darker style... nothing I have ever seen on TV has ever been darker or more spooky than the Buffy episode "Hush"...

Firefly was simply amazing, sad it was cancelled though (same as a few million other people.)

I never got to see it when it aired on TV. I think that worked much to my advantage though because seeing it for the first time on DVD I got to see all the episodes in order and without skipping episodes.

Fox really has screwed up a ton of really good shows by mishandling them...
Mutt
Frostitute

Postby cpltony » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Mutt wrote:
cpltony wrote:Angel seemed more adult to me, buffy was always a younger style show.

See, I always thought it was more the other way around. I could never take Angel too seriously with Loren. A green lounge singing demon just seemed more flippant than anything on Buffy. Both had their share of goof though... whether it be the Buffy musical or the Angel smile time puppet episode.

As for darker style... nothing I have ever seen on TV has ever been darker or more spooky than the Buffy episode "Hush"......

Oh yes!!! Cherie warned me about that episode.....loved it!!
Seeing someone outside scalping boards and pens within a matter of hours was funny.

Mutt wrote:

I never got to see it when it aired on TV. I think that worked much to my advantage though because seeing it for the first time on DVD I got to see all the episodes in order and without skipping episodes.

Fox really has screwed up a ton of really good shows by mishandling them...

I was the same with Firefly....I wasn't even in the US when it aired actually.
Cherie is a HUGE fan of Nathan Fillion and of course....guess who was at D*Con??
She must have spent a good 9 hours with him over the weekend in his lines or at photo ops and panels etc.
ImageImage
cpltony
Frostitute

Postby Buddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:06 pm

Mutt wrote:There's actually two Buffy games for the Xbox... the eponymous self titled Buffy game and the sequel BTVS:Chaos Bleeds which lets you also play as Faith, Spike and the rest of the schooby gang.

I also have Chaos Bleeds but never actually played through the story mode because frankly, I feel like the game play is a step backwards from the first game. Maybe I should finish it now instead of playing the first one again. :?
Buddy
Frostitute

Postby Mutt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Buddy wrote:
Mutt wrote:There's actually two Buffy games for the Xbox... the eponymous self titled Buffy game and the sequel BTVS:Chaos Bleeds which lets you also play as Faith, Spike and the rest of the schooby gang.

I also have Chaos Bleeds but never actually played through the story mode because frankly, I feel like the game play is a step backwards from the first game. Maybe I should finish it now instead of playing the first one again. :?

I thought the same thing but when you play through and you get to play as the other characters it varies it up and makes it more interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Also, I've always been one who was willing to sacrifice a little on gameplay for a more compelling storyline.
Mutt
Frostitute

Postby Geoi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 pm

What does MMO mean?
"We're fans who love watching grown men FLUSH CAKES!!! My god, HOW DARE WE not drink tea with our pinkies up. Fuck anyone up their own ass about maturity on those boards...."
Geoi
Frostitute

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Massive Multiplayer Online

Games like World of Warcraft
Sigh. You really don't like anything, do you Thomas?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Thomas
Frost Admin

Postby Geoi » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:05 am

Oh. Thanks. Sorry I didn't know.
Geoi
Frostitute

Return to General Media