Harry Potter: Dumbledore is gay...

Books, Television, Music, etc. etc. all goes in here!

Moderator: Trucast

Harry Potter: Dumbledore is gay...

Postby pnut » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:31 am

She made her revelation to a packed house in New York's Carnegie Hall on Friday, as part of her US book tour.

She took audience questions and was asked if Dumbledore found "true love".

"Dumbledore is gay," she said, adding he was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, who he beat in a battle between good and bad wizards long ago.

The audience gasped, then applauded. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy," she said.

"Falling in love can blind us to an extent," she added, saying Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down" and his love for Grindelwald was his "great tragedy".

"Oh, my god," Rowling, 42, concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction".

Rowling said her books are a "prolonged argument for tolerance"

Fan sites have long speculated on Dumbledore's sexuality as he was known for having a mysterious, troubled past.

Rowling told the audience that while working on the planned sixth Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, she saw the script carried a reference to a girl who was once of interest to Dumbledore.

She said she ensured director David Yates was made aware of the truth about her character.

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell welcomed the news about Dumbledore and said: "It's good that children's literature includes the reality of gay people, since we exist in every society.

"But I am disappointed that she did not make Dumbledore's sexuality explicit in the Harry Potter book. Making it obvious would have sent a much more powerful message of understanding and acceptance."

And a spokesman for gay rights group Stonewall added: "It's great that JK has said this. It shows that there's no limit to what gay and lesbian people can do, even being a wizard headmaster."

Daniel Radcliffe plays Harry Potter in the films

Rowling also did a brief reading from the seventh book in her best-selling series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as part of her Open Book Tour of the US - her first there for seven years.

She said she regarded her novels as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority".

But she added that not everyone likes her work. Christian groups have alleged the books promote witchcraft. The author said her revelation about Dumbledore would give them one more reason.

The seventh Potter book broke sales records on both sides of the Atlantic when it was published in July, selling 11 million copies in 24 hours.

The fifth film adaptation of the series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released this summer. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is due for release late next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7053982.stm

:rofl:
YOU WANT ME MAKE BANANA CRY?
pnut
Frostitute

Postby KoffCandeh » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:06 pm

And then she threw him off the tower...
Last edited by KoffCandeh on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KoffCandeh
Frostitute

Postby Thanos » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Wow that was unexpected....
http://perrie.elfwood.com/
"I think we all have a bit of gay in us and anyone who says different is a massive Gay"
Thanos
Frostitute

Location: Fort William (Scotland) Born in Leicester (England!)

Postby MiKEsGrrl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 am

Lovin' it! Power to the queer community, brothers and sisters!

What I really love is how JKR is not sitting on the fence about it. Kind of like Nick, in one way:

JKR made Dumbledore gay and is not apologizing for it.
Nick loves Simon and doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks about it or infers from that statement.

Oh the fantastic power of self-confidence and self-knowledge!
>MiKE's Grrl: So many Mikes, so little time!

>"...any of you cunts want a drink?"
MiKEsGrrl
Frostitute

Postby velocity_shingo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:25 pm

holy shyt lol i cant believe i only saw this thread now LOL
velocity_shingo
Frostitute

Postby KoffCandeh » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:04 pm

But then again, why should she?
KoffCandeh
Frostitute

Postby Geoi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:56 pm

KoffCandeh wrote:

Because it's just WRONG!!!!!!!!!

People that old should never think about sex, no matter what sex it may be. It's WRONG!!!!!!! Now I'm thinking about people that old having sex!!!!!!! It's WRONG!!!!!!! *barf*
"We're fans who love watching grown men FLUSH CAKES!!! My god, HOW DARE WE not drink tea with our pinkies up. Fuck anyone up their own ass about maturity on those boards...."
Geoi
Frostitute

Postby brad woodgate » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:38 am

so when is it ok to actually stop having sex then in your eyes geoi, what age??

when is old, too old??
brad woodgate
Frostitute

Postby Geoi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:08 am

Whenever the thought of you having sex grosses me out.

(It was an effing joke kid... :mrgreen: )
"We're fans who love watching grown men FLUSH CAKES!!! My god, HOW DARE WE not drink tea with our pinkies up. Fuck anyone up their own ass about maturity on those boards...."
Geoi
Frostitute

Postby brad woodgate » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:45 am

eff off. old woman!

:lol:

xxx
brad woodgate
Frostitute

Postby MiKEsGrrl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:50 pm

brad woodgate wrote:eff off. old woman!

:lol:

xxx

Define "old." I would gladly bed and wed Helen Mirren any day.

nomnomnom

MiKEsGrrl
Frostitute

Postby Thomas » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:51 pm

Crow's feet is a good sign
Sigh. You really don't like anything, do you Thomas?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Thomas
Frost Admin

Postby KoffCandeh » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Geoi wrote:
KoffCandeh wrote:

People that old should never think about sex, no matter what sex it may be. It's WRONG!!!!!!! Now I'm thinking about people that old having sex!!!!!!! It's WRONG!!!!!!! *barf*

My point was why should she apologize just cause she made him gay? I didn't mention anything about old-aged sex...see where your mind jumps to? :lol:
KoffCandeh
Frostitute

Postby MiKEsGrrl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 pm

KoffCandeh wrote:
Geoi wrote:
KoffCandeh wrote:

My point was why should she apologize just cause she made him gay? I didn't mention anything about old-aged sex...see where your mind jumps to? :lol:

She should NOT apologize for it, at all. But you can't pretend that there isn't huge demographic of people out there who would fully expect her too (why do people stay in the closet, if not for that kind of social pressure?). Careers rise and fall on crap like that.

As a queer woman, I think it is BRILLIANT when a person is just himself/herself and does not even acknowledge the restrictions social/cultural expectations. JKR allowed Dumbledore to "be himself" and admittedly she can afford to ignore everyone but still, many writers/creators would keep a lid on something like that for fear of retribution and criticism. That she did NOT is in fact admirable.

MiKEsGrrl
Frostitute

Postby pnut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:46 pm

a headline:

Is Dumbledore Gay? Depends on Definitions of ‘Is’ and ‘Gay’
YOU WANT ME MAKE BANANA CRY?
pnut
Frostitute

Next

Return to General Media