Movies you've seen lately...

Books, Television, Music, etc. etc. all goes in here!

Moderator: Trucast

Movies you've seen lately...

Postby mcraigclark » Thu May 18, 2006 9:59 pm

OK. I thought we could use a thread to post what movies (DVD, cinema, whatever) we've been watching lately. I'll kick it off by mentioning that I just got back from an advance screening of The Da Vinci Code. I won't spoil anything for the 6 people on earth who haven't read the book. ;)

Tom Hanks makes me itchy, so I had a problem with the casting from the start. Still, he did an alright job with the script he had to work with. Audrey Tautou is lovliness. I didn't realize the film was 2 1/2 hours long, but all the shots in London and Paris make it more than bearable.
mcraigclark
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Hey, someone ought to quote you, Craig - they need all the positives they can get right now, the film's getting absolutely creamed! :shock:

We've had a couple of film threads before but they keep getting buried - third time's the charm? Let's keep this one a-goin'. ;)

On Slick's recent reminder, I watched The Changeling again the other day. Still fucking terrifying. *shudder* I've got to finish this damn apartment so I can get to the cinemas, though, there's a lot out that i need to catch up on...I'm dying to see Art School Confidential.
"Thanks, Dag. I love that Odeon."

http://thirtyhelens.buzznet.com/user/photos/
thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby Mrs Pegg » Fri May 19, 2006 4:15 am

I saw The Da Vinci Code yesterday. I like it even if the French critics hate it. It's a little too long. I love Tom Hanks in this film! He's handsome! The film is pretty good but the realization is bad. Not good Ron!
Mrs Pegg
Frostitute

Postby myntiefresh » Sat May 20, 2006 12:35 am

I enjoyed it a lot. But it the beginning I wasn't really feeling it, but once the action started I was at the edge of me seat!!! I wasn't too fond of Tom playing Langdon either. He just.... doesn't look like Robert Langdon. And yes I know I have no real idea how Langdon actually looks, but the description of him in the book did not fit with how Tom was lookin, so, ya know. Either way he did a bang up job I think.

The rest of the cast was perfect though! Ian McKellen for Sir Leigh Teabing, Jean Reno for Captain Fache, Paul Bettany for Silas and Alfred Molina for Bishop Aringarosa! They got them spot on, GREAT!

I also loved how they left in some of those small details from the book. Like the mickey mouse watch that Langdon wears. I was really suprised to see Tom Hanks wearing one. Or how they didn't forget to mention that Langdon is claustrophobic.

But with that said, I didn't like some of the things they left out. But I understand that they had to cut some stuff out for timing, ya know.

All in all though, I loved the movie!!! :simon:
myntiefresh
Frostitute

Postby holnrew » Sat May 20, 2006 7:34 am

I've not yet seen it, but I imagined Langdon to look a little more like David Duchovny.
holnrew
Frostitute

Postby Wild_ZERO » Sun May 21, 2006 3:54 am

Harrison Ford. I DON'T CARE HOW OLD HE IS!!!
The boy from school
Wild_ZERO
Frostitute

Postby myntiefresh » Tue May 23, 2006 12:01 am

Harrison Ford!!! NO WAY!! He's NO Robert Langdon. :P
myntiefresh
Frostitute

Postby Mrs Pegg » Tue May 23, 2006 12:32 am

I think Tom Hanks is the good choice :love:
Mrs Pegg
Frostitute

Postby MyDogAteLA » Tue May 23, 2006 1:06 am

I haven't really like Tom Hanks and his films for a while, but I really did like him in 'Da Vinci Code'. I actually like him again. lol :P

I haven't read the book, so I can't really say if I think he was a good choice or not for the part, since to me he is the part. lol.

I loved the film, btw, and everyone in it.

ETA: I thought that I'd also mention that before going to see 'Da Vinci Code', I didn't really want to see it. I only went because my cousin wanted to see it.

"What are you going to do with my sandwich?!?!?!"
MyDogAteLA
Frostitute

Postby ApesOnHorseback » Thu May 25, 2006 6:44 pm

Would it be alright if we also used this thread to seek movie advice? I have a bit of an overflow problem in my Netflix queue - I could use some direction.
ApesOnHorseback
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Thu May 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Absolutely! What are you lookin' at/for?

thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby ApesOnHorseback » Thu May 25, 2006 8:25 pm

thirtyhelens wrote:Absolutely! What are you lookin' at/for?

Cool! Here's my current dilemma:
Spider. I realize it's been mislabeled as a thriller. I've got no problem w/ the story being told from the POV of a schizophrenic. I like challenging films. And people seem to be really divided on this one.
Oldboy
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Jules and Jim. I've seen quite a few Truffaut films, but somehow I missed this one.
The Dirty Dozen
Scanners
The Passenger
I could go for any one of these right now. I just can't decide.
BTW, Nic, I love your Fight Club avatar!
ApesOnHorseback
Frostitute

Postby thirtyhelens » Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

Ahhh, lots of good'uns there. I'd go with Jules et Jim, Oldboy and Scanners, but they're all very good. (Actually, I haven't seen The Passenger...d'oh!)

Spider is quite good, though thorougly depressing and occasionally a bit slow. Also I think the big reveal was a bit apparent early on, but still enjoyed the film regardless. :D

Today I received the new Mommie Dearest special edition with a John Waters commentary; I can't WAIT to hear it, but I've got a migraine so it'll have to be later. Arses!

thirtyhelens
Frostitute

Postby ApesOnHorseback » Fri May 26, 2006 12:48 am

Thank you for your guidance :D
thirtyhelens wrote:Today I received the new Mommie Dearest special edition with a John Waters commentary; I can't WAIT to hear it, but I've got a migraine so it'll have to be later. Arses!
Yeah, that's not a very migraine-friendly movie. The "No wire hangers!" scene could do serious damage to your skull. So could the rose garden scene (my favorite bit). I hope you feel better soon.
ApesOnHorseback
Frostitute

Postby mcraigclark » Mon May 29, 2006 5:02 pm

Haven't actually seen it in a while, but I'll be watching The Breakfast Club soon as a tribute to Paul Gleason, who died Saturday of mesothelioma.

mcraigclark
Frostitute

Next

Return to General Media